Poké Land
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weekly Tier Change-Up!

3 posters

Go down

Weekly Tier Change-Up! Empty Weekly Tier Change-Up!

Post by Shiranui Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Here's the plan: Each week, I'll take a UU, NU, or BL Tier Pokemon and give you guys some sets I made for them to show off their stuff.
Current Change-Up: Torkoal
Previous Change-Ups: Omastar
This weeks Change-Up is coming early as I will be unable to access the internet on my trip to Atlanta. So here we go!

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]
Torkoal (M) @ Air Balloon/Life Orb
Trait: White Smoke/Shell Armor
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Sunny Day
- Flamethrower

- Substitute/Shell Smash
- SolarBeam

A semi-good sweeper. Sunny Day for High-Power Flamethower and 1-Turn SolarBeam. Substitute so you can get off the Sunny Day, and Solar Beam for Type coverage. All the secondary options go together. Life Orb for Air Balloon if you want more power, but less protection against Ground. White Smoke doesn't affect Shell Smash, so you'll lose defense either way, deeming White Smoke useless. Shell Smash for added power.

Torkoal (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: White Smoke/ Shell Armor
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Amnesia
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

This Torkoal is more defensive than the previous set. Amnesia is obvious. Will-O-Wisp for half Atk stats. Rapid Spin to remove teh entry hazurds, and Stealth Rock to give them back to the opponent. Not the best stall pokemon, but it has its perks. Again, you can choose either ability. Either way, you get something good out of it. I prefer Shell Armor. What with all the High-Crit Ratio Moves out there.

Last edited by Shiranui on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:59 pm; edited 8 times in total
Shiranui
Shiranui

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDiamondizedKid

Back to top Go down

Weekly Tier Change-Up! Empty Re: Weekly Tier Change-Up!

Post by Medicham's Hat Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:20 pm

No Shell Smash? :O That's Omastar's one niche in OU as a Shell Smashing special attacker.
Medicham's Hat
Medicham's Hat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiranui Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:59 pm

Can someone delete this post? I don't need it anymoar. Razz

Last edited by Shiranui on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiranui
Shiranui

Back to top Go down

Weekly Tier Change-Up! Empty Change-Up #1

Post by Shiranui Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:06 pm

Omastar@Damp Rock/Life Orb
Swift Swim
Timid(+Spe, -Atk) 88 Def/168 SpA/252 Spe

~Rain Dance
~Surf

~Ice Beam
~Earth Power

As you can fairly well see, this Omastar is meant to outspeed your opponent. Now, I know Omastar's Speed stat is nothing to brag about, but with a Timid nature and 252 Speed EV's, his speed stat is raised to 229, that of a Max Speed, Adamant Scizor. After a couple of speed boosts from Swift Swim, Omastar can basically outspeed most opposition in the OU Metagame. Life Orb can always be substituted for Damp Rock if you want to get an extra boost in Surf with Rain Dance for an incredible Base Power of about 280 with STAB! Ice Beam for Type Coverage, and Earth Power for the same.

Omastar@Life Orb
Weak Armor
Modest(+SpA, -Atk) 254 SpA/254 Spe

~Rock Polish/Shell Smash
~Scald
~Ice Beam
~HP Flying/HP Psychic/HP Bug/HP Ground/HP Rock

This Omastar is the same as the last, but with less concern for defense and more towards beating the crap out of everything. Weak Armor gives a nice boost in the fact that Omastar's Defense stat is pretty high up there, so there's no need to worry about that too much. Rock Polish or Shell Smash for obvious reasons. Scald can burn which can aid in protecting against the nasty side effects of Weak Armor. Ice Beam for coverage. Last slot has a lot of possibilities. All except the last give nice type coverage. HP Rock can give some nice STAB seeing as it is only 1 of 3 special Rock Type moves in the game(The latter being Ancient Power which is terrible, and Power Gem, which Omastar can't learn.)

Omastar@Lefties/Focus Sash
Shell Armor
Bold(+Def, -Atk) 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA

~Substitute
~Iron Defense
~Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock
~Surf

Last set for today. This Omastar is different from the other in the sense that it is a totally defensive pokemon. Sub is an obvious choice in anything that you want to be able to tank. Iron Defense is also a given, since it can give Omastar a Defensive Stat that could probably rival Skarmory or Steelix. Toxic Spikes or Stealth Rock. I don't care. Take your pick. Surf so that you can do some damage if you get Mean Looked and can't switch.
Shiranui
Shiranui

Back to top Go down

Post by 49th Parallel Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Most Scizors don't invest max speed to the best of my knowledge, they usually invest about 8 speeds EVs :/ I think that a spread of 48 Hp/252 SpA/208 Spd w/Modest nature would be more efficient, giving you 293 Hp/286 Def/361 SpA/198 Spd as opposed to 281 Hp/308 Def/308 SpA/229 Spd (12 extra points). With such an investment Omastar can outspeed base 130s in rain, as well as dealing 90.4-106.6% damage to the standard Jolteon w/Surf when running Damp Rock (consistent OHKO after SR). Also, if you are running this in OU, Hp Grass may deserve a mention in the last slot, as it hits everything that resists Water+Ice but Tentacruel harder than Earth Power does, and actually allows you to hit Rotom-W.

For the 2nd set, ignoring the fact that Weak Armor is currently unreleased, Shell Smash is always the better option, meaning it should get the first slash in respect to proper etiquette. Again I would suggest the same EV spread as mentioned in the first set, it optimizes his options offensively. Also, Surf/Hydro Pump should really be run over Scald outside of a support role :/ I really don't see the relevance of any of your last options tbh. Wouldn't Hp Grass/Electric take this slot fairly obviously in order to hit other Water types that wall this set for super-efective damage? What are all these other moves doing, hitting random singular threats? And you already mentioned he has Earth Power, why even run Hp Ground?

The last set really confuses me :/ Why run a Sash on such a bulky poke? Wouldn't it be smarter to just pair him up with something like Venasaur/Roserade to take Grass/Electric/Fighting attacks aimed him? Why run Substitute on him when he's mainly setting hazards and not say, Toxic-Stalling or setting up a sweep? Why run Iron Defense ever? He shouldn't be staying in on everything, he should be getting up hazards when he can, and then getting switched off :/ Why are you running Scald on a sweeper set but not on the support set? And why no mention of Spikes? Save Smeargle and Forretress, Omastar is only poke capable of legally running all 3 formes of hazards in one set, isn't that worth a mention? Ideally, I would think a support set would look a little something like this:

Omastar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes/Toxic Spikes
- Ice Beam/Earth Power/Rest

Pretty basic, but whatever. Scald is for spreading around some burns and the like. Stealth Rock is more necessary in the end, so the choice is between Spikes and TSpikes. Last move is more one of flavour than anything. Ice Beam allows you to hit Flying types that you come in on, with Earth Power scaring off anyone trying to absorb the TSpikes (obviously to be used in conjunction with it Razz). Rest can be used to make up for his lack of reliable recovery, though Heal Bell support is really necessary in such an instance.

Edit: Missed Torkoal, I'll get back to it later
49th Parallel
49th Parallel

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb0f32uOrw1qanb21o1_400.jpg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down